Early Monday morning I had to be up and out the door and a forty-five minute drive over to Mother’s by 6:30 to take her to an 8:00 doctor’s appointment downtown at M.D. Anderson Hospital. I was worn out from a weekend of emotional pain since our younger teen-aged son had had a falling out with his dad and had run away from home. But when your mother needs you, you suck it up and plunge right through. She needed me now and I had no idea how to help my son at this time anyway.

When I arrived at Mom and Dad’s home I found her still in bed with much pain in her stomach. She could hardly move and she was white as a sheet. “Mom, I need to call a nurse for you,” I said when I saw her. “I don’t think I can get you to the doctor.” When I talked to the doctor’s office so very early in the morning, they simply said to bring her in. Mother had had a complete hysterectomy due to uterine cancer just the week before and had only been home over the weekend. This scheduled visit to the doctor was supposed to be a routine follow-up. The whole family had been praying and was expecting her to be home by now and recovering

Painfully she walked to the car and got in and we drove as quickly as we could through early morning rush hour traffic all the way down town to the Medical Center. She was alert enough to give me directions from her home or we would still be driving all over the area trying to find the parking garage. Wheel chairs were parked there in the parking garage for those who needed one and this time we certainly did. I wheeled her to the doctor’s office. While she was in the back in the examining room with the nurse, I tried to make an appointment with a Christian Family Counselor for me. I was such an emotional wreck over the choices my teenage son was making that I could barely go on. My mind was with Mom. My heart was with my lost son. My body was wrenching with pain. How does one manage in two places at once? They don’t. Not well at all.

Once the nurse saw Mom, and how very pale and in pain she was in, they instructed me to take her to the ER right away.  I was told how to take her directly across the street by way of the Sky Bridge, so off we went. All of a sudden my phone went off as I was pushing Mom as fast as my tired body would go. “Hello?”

“Hi Dianne! This is Jay. How is your mother? Isn’t she home from the hospital?”

“Jay, I am taking her to the ER right this very minute and can’t talk right now. Love you. Thanks for calling. Bye.” I hung up on one of Dad’s beloved nephews living in Virginia before I spilled my guts and collapsed right there on the walkway with Mother in dire pain.

Once in the waiting room of the ER at M.D. Anderson, I looked around and already at 9:00 a.m. the waiting room was full. Packed. Mother won’t last through this wait, I thought, anxiously. She’s hardly even alert anymore and she’s in such pain! All of a sudden I saw the most beautiful angelic face looking at me from across the way in the waiting room. She was pale, wearing a most darling red cap and bright red lipstick that accentuated her radiant smile.

“Hi Dianne. I’m Medrith Peacock, your mother’s friend.”

“Oh, Mrs. Peacock, I know you! You are beautiful today!” I exclaimed.

“Your mom doesn’t look too well. I surely hope they take care of her quick. I will pray for her.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Peacock and I will pray for you.” I was dying to get up and go over and give her a hug. But I was so fragile. I was so afraid of spilling my heart out to her. She needed comforting herself! She didn’t need to hear my sad story!

A few minutes later a male attendant came up, took Mother’s blood pressure and immediately got her into a room down the hall and suddenly nurses were all around her bed poking her and putting in an IV. I just stood there. I had no idea how to help her but to be with her.

Several hours later – long into the night my phone rang and it was my husband, Bill. “When are you coming home?” he asked me. He seemed so very far away.

“I don’t know,” I said, still trying hard to hold it all together. “They’re going to take her downstairs to do a test – a CAT scan, I think, and I need to be with her. Are you home?”

“ No.”  He hesitated. “I’m headed to the jail. Joe’s been arrested.”

I didn’t think my heart could sink any lower. I nearly collapsed on to the floor of that little room. “What happened?” The tears just pushed through. They had been ready to roll for such a long time.

“I’ll explain when I get home.  I’m going to bail him out. Come on home when you can.” I thought I detected some anxiousness in him, too. The last thing I wanted to do was go home to an empty house.

“Okay,” I said weakly. “Praying for you.” Though, I had little left energy to pray.

Suddenly my phone rang again. “Hi Sweet Friend, this is Tammy! How are you? I was just calling to say hello!” That’s when I took the phone and went just on the other side of the sliding glass door of Mom’s little room and slid all the way to the floor and cried my heart out. A friend from Austin had called me. And she had no idea what all had transpired the past week.

She listened. She shared some scripture and fortunately I had my little Gideon New Testament and read along with her. She let me cry and cry. Then…….my cell phone died. After all, it was 9:30 p.m.! No charger. That was it. But oh how her call ministered to me that night. She was God’s glorious way of reaching me at a time of deep emotional crisis.

Mom was in the hospital 3 weeks with an infection before she was well enough to go home. She then went through 28 rounds of radiation treatment and was declared cancer free. My son’s journey through some rebellious years lasted awhile. Now, by the grace of God he is sober and working a steady job and living on his own and gives all the glory to God.

Do you think it


woman crying

was just coincidence that Jay called that morning to check on Mother? Or that one of her

closest friends was in the waiting room at the very same time that Mother came in? Or that Tammy just happened to call late on a Monday evening?

I have never doubted that God in His glorious Providence back in 2009 provoked Jay to call that morning to say hello and check on Mother. Then He brought Mom’s friend to the waiting room t

o pray for her. Of all the nights that Tammy would call me out of the blue. No. Totally orchestrated by God Himself. It’s His way of taking care of His children when they are in such hard places. My heart prays that I could be that friend one day who calls out of the blue……to be a tool in the Master’s hand.

A man of many friends comes to ruin, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24

For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways, declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are May ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9

2 thoughts on “Providence

  1. There’s something about the close vicinity of unfamiliar souls and places that later have very meaningful interactions that I’ve been noticing lately that I can’t quite put my finger on. But the phone call with your friend was definitely heaven sent and you needed strength to go home to take care of your home front as well. Thanks for sharing.


    1. Just now seeing your comment, Ta’Neika! Thank you for your valuable comment. All this posting and following is still a learning process for me. I’ll try to respond in a more timely manner in the future.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.